Monday, January 21, 2008

Misc. for MLK

Today's not a holiday here in Canada, but it's on my calendar so it was on my mind. Also on my mind:
----------
I have had to adjust my watch band one notch tighter recently. Is this because I've switched to doing pushups on my fists, rather than my palms? I've never heard of "slimming and toning" wrists, but perhaps that's because we don't focus on them as indicators of beauty.
----------
I caught sight of myself in a mirror today and it evoked this thought: I don't think I'd recognize myself in a crowd. Would you recognize yourself? I certainly know what I look like, but I don't spend a lot of time staring at my own image. I don't talk to myself in the mirror, and so I don't really know what I look like "in action." What does my walk look like? What are my mannerisms? I know what they feel like to make, but not the final result of moving all those muscles. Is it weird for actors to see themselves on film for the first time?
----------
In the course of some leisure reading:
The starred and stately nights seemed haughty dames in jewelled velvets, nursing at home in lonely pride, the memory of their absent conquering Earls, the golden helmeted suns! For sleeping man, 'twas hard to choose between such winsome days and such seducing nights. (Moby Dick 242)
I haven't come across such poetic prose in any of my other recent reading. (That meter is amazing. Hear the iambs!) Are modern authors just too conceited for it? When they try, it comes across as condescending, IMHO. But the above is just so... earnest. I wonder if such delights, such experiences, are totally in the past for us.

But this is passing strange. I'll be back to my common, sarcastic self soon enough.


This post's theme literary device: personification.

No comments: