Saturday, June 7, 2008

It's too darned hot

So hot today that my chapsticks melted and separated. The brief reprieve provided by my massive mane of wet post-shower hair evaporated too quickly, turning it into a curly, unremovable scarf covering half of my back. If I put it up, the unrelenting sun beat down on my skin; if I put it down, it was a thick, warm layer of insulation. No wind. I was sweating the moment I left the gym's air-conditioning.

I spent a good part of the day doing things that required minimal movement, to prevent myself from overheating. Also minimum contact. Standing is cooler than sitting; more air can circulate. Don't turn on any electronics or lights! -- in this respect, fanless Epizeuxis crushes its helpless, heat-generating competition from Quine. I waited until 8pm to haul my laundry the two blocks to the laundromat, since any earlier attempt would have seen me perish of heat stroke en route.

And despite this weather-induced sluggishness, I feel good. Vitamin D. The sun came out, and I walked on my feet. Who could ask for anything more?


This post's theme word is Canadian: deke (from "decoy"), "a quick fake by a puck carrier intended to trick an opponent out of position."

No comments: