Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I miss film studies

The academic writing that I work on every day has no polish. No poetry. I am just hammering out a rough draft of something that may or may not go into my thesis, and it is dry. At best, it is concise and clear. I haven't yet found (or even dreamt of producing) written academic work that is a pleasure to read.

So I seek other outlets. I'm working on a film studies/lit/lang-style essay analyzing Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. I just saw the latest Batman in IMAX (delightful! -- did you know that IMAX was created in Canada?) and then got entangled in a literary/critical discussion of it. I miss having a playground for that part of my brain.


This post's theme word: mondegreen, "the mishearing (usually unintentional) of a phrase as a [near-]homophone in such a way that it acquires a new meaning."

No comments: