Sunday, April 20, 2014

Hugo awards 2014

The 2014 Hugo ballot has been announced. I am going to try to read and consider each of the nominees in the main categories. I'll link to my posts below. I've never read any of The Wheel of Time, so it may be awhile before I can review the entire series.

Best novel:
Best novella:
  • The Butcher of Khardov by Dan Wells
  • "The Chaplain's Legacy" by Brad Torgersen
  • "Equoid" by Charles Stross
  • Six-Gun Snow White by Catherynne M. Valente
  • "Waklla Springs" by Andy Duncan and Ellen Klages
Best novelette:
  • "The Exchange Officers" by Brad Torgersen
  • "The Lady Astronaut of Mars" by Mary Robinette Kowal
  • "Opera Vita Aeterna" by Vox Day
  • "The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling" by Ted Chiang
  • "The Waiting Stars" by Aliette de Bodard
Best short story:
I have no systematic way to review the other categories ("best related work", "best graphic story", "best dramatic presentation" (long and short forms), "best editor" (long and short forms), "best professional artist", "best semiprozine", "best fanzine", "best fancast", "best fan writer", "best fan artist"). Some of them are formats or content I don't find interesting; others, I sampled and wasn't grabbed enough to consume further. I'll stick to the Drabblecast and Escape Pod for my zine/podcast story needs, and simplify my life by not worrying about all the rest.


This post's theme word is eschaton, "judgement day." (I thought DFW made up this word; now that I know it's real, Eschaton is even funnier.) The Hugo eschaton approaches!

No comments: