Monday, October 3, 2016

Quoth the raven

I take attendance by having the students answer a question.

Quoth the raven, "_______________."

  • Join Bird Club!
  • 'sup
  • Hi, how are you?
  • suh dude
  • I can fly.
  • Can I fly?
  • Fantastic!
  • hey wassup hello
  • nooooooooooooooooo
Many followed the reference but with variations:
  • n3v3rmor3 xD
  • never ever never no matter what forever (more)
  • not the "n-word"!
  • NEVER EVER MORE, EXCEPT SOMETIMES MAYBE
  • "Quoth the raven, "Quoth the raven, " ... " " "
  • What, the poem by Edgar Allen Poe? The super dark one? :(
I appreciated the close-quotes which matched on the recursive answer. The most popular answer was, of course, the simple "nevermore".


Many people picked onomatopoeia:

  • caw
  • woot
  • hey
  • cacaw
  • yo
  • yo yo
  • chirp
  • KAA KAA
  • Squahk


Today's winner was:
"A long, long time ago, I can still remember how that music used to make me smile. And I knew if I had a chance that I could make those people dance and maybe they'd be happy for awhile. [piano]* And February made me shiver, with every paper I'd deliver. Bad news on the doorstep I couldn't take one more..."
* pronounced "bracket piano bracket" 
-- I promise I'm listening to the lecture.

This post's theme word is frowsty, "musty; having a stale smell." The frowsty classic poem was rejuvenated by students' colorful edits.

No comments: