Monday, November 21, 2016

If you were a superhero/villain, what would your catchphrase be?

I take attendance by having students answer a question.

If you were a superhero/villain, what would your catchphrase be?

Halfhearted heroism:
  • I tried :P
  • I feel like I need to say something but I don't really know (<-- about="" an="" anticlimax...="" li="" talk="">
  • You stop that!
  • Save me.
  • Life is so complicated. (<-- a="" and="" arriving="" at="" chaos="" himself="" i="" imagine="" just="" li="" madness.="" of="" ongoing="" scene="" superman="" surveying="" the="" to="" tutting="" wreckage="">
  • "And have a good day!"
  • No.
  • Ugh, I guess I'll help you if I have to.
  • "I'm not that kind of superhero; please stop asking me to fly."
  • eh, maybe tomorrow
Mathy (and I'm not sure what the accompanying costume or scenario is):
  • min flow
  • P = NP
  • "If a vertex cover is polynomial time reducible to..."
  • I am a CS major
Onomatopoeia:
  • Give me the meatloaf, pow!
  • beep boop
  • meep
  • swagsauce swagu
  • Bananana
  • pow
  • Gotcha!
Entertaining:
  • "CATCHPHRASE!!"
  • Student X wrote: "ITS helpdesk, this is X how can I help you"
  • "I'mma let you finish... but BeyoncĂ© had one of the best music videos of all time!"

The winner was a repeat-offender-for-sarcasm, whose catchphrase, "a pun so infuriating it distracts my enemies," leaves a lot to the imagination while still conveying the right smug tone for a catchphrase. And not really committing to heroism or villainy. (Although some might argue that the entire punnish approach puts it squarely in "villainy".)


This post's theme word is desuetude, "a state of disuse." He heaved himself out of the recliner and said, in a voice cracking from desuetude, "If humanity needs me again, I can come out of retirement and be Superman. Again." then sighed melodramatically.

2 comments:

AnneMarie said...

I hope you aren't a real teacher.omg The kids need balance, not BS like this.

Unknown said...

Wow! Anne Marie, why would you say something so mean? I think that more of us should be more like Dr. Fontes!